Recreation Park and Mill Number 3, Willimantic, CT
Item
-
Title
-
Recreation Park and Mill Number 3, Willimantic, CT
-
Description
-
Photograph of Recreation Park in Willimantic, CT. Taken near the entrance on Main Street, looking east. The raceway is just off camera to the right. The American Thread Company's Mill Number 3 is in the right background, behind trees. The Main Street fence is on the left, with the stone gate visible. Factory Street is visible in the cneter, lined with elm trees. Mill Number 3 was constructed in 1845 as the Welles Mill and demolished by ATCO in 1926. The Willimantic Fairgrounds was established by the Willimantic Linen Company (ATCO's predecessor) in 1893. ATCO converted the Fairgrounds into Recreation Park in 1913 and deeded it to the City of Willimantic and Town of Windham. This photo was taken between 1913 and 1926. Photographer unknown. Black and white gelatin emulsion print, pasted onto a gray cardboard matte.
-
Identifier
-
WTHM.2022.2.48
-
Date
-
1913 - 1926
-
Date Created
-
1913 - 1926
-
Type
-
Photograph
-
Format
-
Gelatin Print
-
Subject
-
Recreation Park
-
Coverage
-
Northeast : North America : Windham, CT : Willimantic, CT
-
Rights
-
This work is in the public domain.
-
Relation
-
American Thread Company Collection
-
Provenance
-
Name/Reference Label: Found Object